You reluctantly put away the floral heels, floppy hats, and flip flips. Then you rejoiced as you pulled out the sweaters, boots, and scarves. You put away the sunscreen and the bronzer, but wait! Don’t overlook soothing your skin as you swap out your warm wardrobe. Here are a few mistakes we’ve all been guilty of:
- Using really hot water. Scalding hot showers are actually hard on your hair and skin during any season, but it’s even worse during winter. Resist warming up with a boiling bath and take warm showers instead.
- Using alcohol based products. Toner, hand sanitizer, make up remover, you name it. If it has alcohol, it’s drying you out. Look for alcohol free variations to use during the winter months.
- Drinking lots of coffee. How does coffee affect your skin? Well, as much as we love warming up with a cuppa, too much can dehydrate your skin. If you have to have a toasty beverage, herbal tea or decaf coffee are better choices. The best choice, of course, is always: water.
- Blasting the heat. As with the shower, it’s so tempting! But turning the heat on full blast dries the air around you, which dries out your skin and can weaken your immune system. Try putting on a sweater to stay warm and running a humidifier to add moisture to the air.
- Not applying sunscreen. Hopefully, you are wearing a moisturizer and foundation with built in SPF 30 or better, but if you aren’t, sunscreen is necessary. Even when it seems cloudy and overcast, your skin can still be damaged by the sun.
- Taking a break from beauty treatments. Whether it’s facials, massages, hair or nails – don’t stop just because it’s cold outside. It’s always easier to maintain than to start over.
At Pure Concept Salon + Spa, we are ready for winter. Schedule an appointment today so you will feel fresh and ready for the holiday happenings.